Instructions for Durarail® welded picket and component assembly.
Welded Picket Assemby Instructions
Note: Ensure that the post base plate is set back from the edge of the deck far enough to ensure that the outside mounting screws will screw into the perimeter deck joist. Failure to screw into the deck joist will weaken the installation.
- Measure the overall deck width. Deduct the backset from the deck edge to the two corner posts. This will be the overall length of the panel you require. Miter the ends of the top receiver.
- Install all sleeves (#8x3/4" screws), receiver clips (#10x1 ½" #8 head screws) and/or bottom rail sleeves (#10x1 ½" screws), as required on the posts prior to post installation.
- Measure between the end posts and decide where the center posts will now be placed. Cut the bottom rail out on both sides of a picket to allow enough room for the installation of a 1 5/8" post. Remove the cut out picket by breaking the weld on the underside of the top receiver. Insert the post, level and fasten to the top receiver using (# 10x1 ½" #8 head screws) and fasten the bottom rail to the receiver clips by clipping in place. For added strength you may screw the bottom rail to the clips using a (¾" #8 Tec screw).
- Install the picket support legs into the rail panel. Do not screw these legs in place as the final height adjustment will be made at the end of the installation.
- Center the panel on the deck and place one # 14 screw in the center post plates.
- Cut the top rail to length with mitered corners on the end. Snap the top rail onto the top receiver.
- Place the end posts with sleeves already installed, on the ends of the top rail and welded panel.
- Level the comer posts. Secure the corner sleeves to the top rail and receiver channel using a (#12x1 ½" screw) on the underside of the sleeve.
- Secure all posts completely using (#14x3 or #14x2 screws).
- On a “U” shaped deck repeat the above steps using wall mounts at the structure. There will be adequate leverage on the corner posts to install the top tail and receiver without removing the corner sleeve.
- Secure the support legs to the deck using a #12x1 ½" screw. Level the rail and screw the support legs to the bottom rail using a #8x3/4" screw.
- Clean the railing with Vim to remove minor scuffmarks and debris.
Note: Ensure that the post base plates are set back from the edge of the deck far enough to ensure that the outside mounting screws will screw into the perimeter deck joist. Failure to screw into the deck joist will weaken the installation.
- Install all receiver clips (#10x1 1 /2" #8 head screws) and/or bottom rail sleeves (#12x1 ½" screws) as required on the posts prior to post installation.
- Set corner or end posts and level. Place top rail sleeves loosely in these posts. Do not fasten sleeves at this time.
- Measure between the inside edge of the two comer posts. Divide this measurement equally to give you the centerline of your posts. Cut the bottom rail to suit the post spacing. Clip the support legs into the bottom rail. You may screw the legs to the bottom rail for added strength.
- Place the center posts on the deck where required. Starting at one end place bottom rail in sleeves or on clips. Screw post base to the deck and level. Fasten bottom rail to the post as required. Enclosed sleeves do not require screws in the bottom rail. Continue installing all center posts.
- Cut top receiver channel to length allowing for miter cuts at the comers.
- Place the top receiver channel in the corner post sleeves and fasten the receiver to the center posts using only the front and back screw ports. Do not fasten the top receiver channel to the comer posts. Double check the posts for level prior to fastening to the receiver channel.
- Measure your top rail and cut to length. Miter cut both ends of this rail.
- Remove the comer sleeves and snap the top rail on to the receiver channel. Place the corner sleeves on the ends of the top rail and insert the corner sleeves into the posts.
- Secure the corner sleeves to the post. Secure the top rail and receiver to the corner sleeves from the underside of the sleeve.
- Secure the support legs to the deck.
- Cut the top and bottom picket insert to length and install into the top and bottom channels between posts.
- Install the first picket starting at either end by sliding the picket into the bottom channel on an angle that will allow you to clear the underside of the top rail. Holding the bottom of the picket firm vertically, straighten the picket so it is level and secure in the top and bottom rails. Leave a space approximately 3 ½" between the post and the first picket. Next, install a spacer after the first picket. Continue this operation for the balance of the pickets.
- When you have all the pickets in place, gently tap the pickets and spacers together until they are snug and level. Equalize the space between the two posts at either end of the assembled pickets and cut your end spacers to suit the remaining open gap in the top and bottom rails. As an alternative to the above, pickets may be installed simultaneously, followed by all the spacers simultaneously.
- Clean your installation with Vim to remove handprints and minor scuffs incurred during installation.